“God’s favorite color is blue,” she said matter-of-factly.
“Because that’s my Daddy’s favorite color.”
I wonder what other characteristics of mine my 5-year-old daughter has projected on God. I wonder if she would say …
- “God is kind, because my Daddy is kind.”
- “God listens to me, because my Daddy always listens to me.”
- “God will always be there when I need Him, because my Daddy is always there for me.”
- “God loves me even when I do something bad, because my Daddy does.”
- “I can trust God, because I can trust my Daddy.”
Meg Meeker, in Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters, writes to fathers: “your character is invisibly overlaid onto your daughter’s image of God.” Children perceive that God is like their fathers, and girls tend to see even more similarities between God and their fathers than do boys. This is an awesome responsibility!
What are your children learning about God from you?
“The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him” (Ps. 103:13).